I’ve been using MacX DVD Ripper Pro for about five years now and have been through a few upgrades and wanted to update this review of to reflect the changes.
There are many Mac DVD ripper programs out there, both free and paid for, although I like to stick with this software as it’s easy to use and its interface suits users with basic computer competency though it also allows for more specific options for advanced users.
The updated versions now selects the right video title, which makes it easier for basic users to rip the right title.
All the main formats you could possibly need are provided as options: DVD to MP4, H.264, MOV, FLV, MPEG, M4V, AVI, QT (QuickTime) all with high quality video and audio. The DVD Backup feature allows you to copy a DVD to a single video file with original video quality and 5.1-channels AC3/DTS Dolby audio. This is great for backing up your copy protected DVD collection to your Mac.
The updated version at the time of writing is 3.4.1 that rips any copy protected, encrypted DVD to iPhone (including 4S, iPad & iPad2, iPod and iMovie. MacX DVD Ripper Pro rips all types of encrypted DVD and copy-protected DVD (removes DVD CSS, region code, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, Disney, etc). MacX DVD Ripper Pro is also updated regularly to keep up with different formats and encryption methods.
It now also rips to a slew of popular formats: Rip DVD to MP4, QT, FLV, H.264, MOV, AVI, MP3, MPEG, M4V formats which are compatible with Mac OS popular applications like QuickTime and iTunes, iPhone/iPhone 4S, iPad, iPod, iPod Touch, Apple TV, Android, HTC, Samsung, XOOM, Galaxy Tab, PSP, etc. So you can watch the DVD movie on QuickTime player and portable player devices.
MacX DVD Ripper Pro runs on Mac OS X Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks and Yosemite.
When I first reviewed this software it took me 33 minutes to rip a one hour fifty-five minute DVD to AVI. The quality was excellent. On the standard default settings the file size was 1.4 GB
With the 3.4.1 edition it took just 24 minutes to rip a two hour and five minute DVD to AVI the file size was 1.8 GB on the standard default setting, so newer versions are faster as well.
Version 4.5.2 provides updated features which work with new DVDs – and of course lifetime upgrades are free so if new copy protection technology comes out, you’ll still be able to backup your collection.
MacX DVD Ripper Pro Features worth highlighting:
- Extract background music from the video file by importing the DVD file, and select “to Music” button. You will be able to extract the background music as MP3 music file.
- Select your own Preview Snapshot.
- Set the start and finish time to trim the video if desired.
- Advanced users can have better control over how the software outputs video and audio
- The help PDF which answers all the obvious questions as well as allowing you to learn more about the advanced options by explaining what some of the ‘jargon’ terminology means.
- There are also well labelled screenshots that I always think adds to the user manuals helpfulness.
- Digiarty Software, the company behind MacX DVD Ripper offers a 50% discount off all their products for approved charitable organisations, provided they have sufficient proof. This kind of generosity always impresses me about a company’s decency.
- The program comes with free lifetime upgrade service for registered users.
While there are many Mac DVD ripper programs available, this program offers all the usual features. The interface is easy to navigate for novice or advanced users. $49.95USD is a fair price for this software considering it includes free lifetime upgrades, a rare incentive in most software packages. I’ve had it around five years now and ripped my entire DVD collection to digital to play back on XBMC (now known as Kodi).
MacX DVD Ripper Pro is also often on sale and sometimes free for the full version especially around the holiday periods including events like Halloween and Thanks Giving. You can’t have lifetime updates for the free versions but its still fair to have a full working version for zero cost.
I also like that it is updated to reflect the changes in portable device medias and added features and improved reliability and speed.
The final thing I like about MacX DVD Ripper Pro is since purchasing a few years ago I have always had excellent technical support from their company even across the holidays.
Design - 9/10
Features - 9/10
Cost - 9/10
Ease Of Use - 9/10
Customer Support - 10/10
Overall Value - 10/10
Positives: Fast, many formats, easy to use
Negatives: Nil noted
Trial Available: Yes
Price: $49.99 - But special offers are often given.
50% discount for charitable organisations.